It can't be stressed enough that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Research shows that people who eat Breakfast within the first hour of waking up have a better metabolism than people who skip the first meal of the day. Jowar is an ancient grain used throughout India and other parts of the world and is considered a great alternative to other types of corn or wheat based cereals. Jowar or Jwar is also known as Sorghum (in english), Jolada (in Kannada), Cholam (in Tamil), and Jonna (in Telugu).
Health benefits of Jowar :
Cooking time : 40 mins Servings : 4
Ingredients for making Jowar Porridge:
1 cup Jowar/Sorghum grain
1/2 cup Jowar flour
2 cups milk - you may use dairy, soy, almond milk according to your choice
2 tbsp of sweetener of your choice (preferably honey or Maple Syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
Steps for preparing Jowar Porridge :
1. Wash and rinse the Jowar grains
2. In a pot put 3 cups of water and add the Jowar grains
3. Cook the Jowar grains for about 1 hour
4. Set aside the cooked Jowar grains to cool down
Steps for cooking Jowar Porridge :
1. Mix the sorghum flour with 1/2 cup of water, making sure there are no lumps.
2. In a pot set on medium, pour milk, 1 cup water and Cinnamon powder.
3. Add the Jowar flour mixture and stir well.
4. On medium flame cook the flour mix with milk for 15 minutes.
5. Add cooked Jowar grains and mix well.
6. Add the sweetener for your choice and vanilla extract.
7. Add deseeded Dates, Raisins and plain pista kernels.
8. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
Your perfect breakfast Sorghum Porridge is ready. Serve cold with pista, raisins and dates on top.